History of The Linger Longer
The first settlers in Ottawa County built a cabin in 1855, but Indians induced them to leave by fall. The first permanent settlers came in 1859. Bennington was laid out as a town in 1878. Dr. J. K. Osborne opened the first drug store in Bennington in 1879. His was the second building in Bennington.
This shows downtown Bennington prior to the fire of April 26, 1912. (The photo was taken at the intersection of N. Nelson and Washington St., looking south.) The building second from the right is where The Linger Longer is located today and it housed the Post Office. The first postmaster was appointed in 1864. The building to its left was Farmers State Bank and the one to the right was the J. S. Boyle real estate and insurance office. These were the only buildings left standing on the west side of the street after the fire.
Mr. H.A. Elliot purchased the property in July 1912. This shows the interior of Elliot Pharmacy circa 1924. Note the original back bar, still in use today. The soda fountain shown was replaced sometime in the late 1920's with the one we have today. It was installed on the north side instead. Mr. H.A. Elliot, the pharmacist, appears in both the left and right sides of the photo!